In one of the major Italian historical settings, the wonderful city of Florence, which has always been a forge of innovative movements of thought and cradle of revolutionary visions of the relationship between Man and the Universe, the artistic works come to life of Alessandro Dari, master in jewellery arts, jeweler, sculptor and musician. His training has its roots and its continuing inspiration in the main historical currents which, through constant spiritual pursuits, impregnate and hallmark his works in what are unique and ambitious forms and philosophies. The passion of the artist, who now exhibits more than 900 unique jewelry in his shop, is vital nourishment, an expression of the unconscious, the breathing of the soul. A balanced, strong and delicate formula, between Being and its processing into shape. Numerous successful international exhibitions and one-man shows have been dedicated to Maestro Dari, staged in the Museum of the Cathedral of Fiesole and where he still exhibits today with his work “The Holy Spider”, and in the Museo degli Argenti in Palazzo Pitti. Highlights also include mentions in newspapers, magazines and television programs. His gold-working techniques and the profound philosophy that guides him in his creations are collected in the book catalogue “Mysticism in forms”. Honorary university professor of gold-working in the faculty of Architecture in Florence, in 2003 he was awarded the Perseo prize for best artist of the city and in 2006 was appointed chosen artist of the Vatican.
The Goldsmith School Live. Click here to access.
THE HISTORIC BUILDING IN FLORECE
Alessandro Dari works jewels in his museum-workshop in Florence, in the old “Nasi-Quaratesi” building, where you can admire his collections and appreciate the uniqueness of his art. In the Renaissance period the building was frequented by Michelangelo and Raphael. In one room, the painting “The Madonna of the Goldfinch” was found. This is now on display at the Galleria degli Uffizi. It was painted by Raphael as a wedding gift for the Quaratesi family. Andrea Quaratesi also had the privilege of having his portrait painted by Michelangelo, who was a family friend. In 2001 the shop was awarded the title of “Museum Workshop” by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage of Rome and in 2014, in the Maestro’s study, sculptural gold-working courses were held.
THE WORKSHOP SINCE 1600
Recent studies show that his family has Florentine origins and since 1630 is well documented that his ancestors were skilled artists of the stone, bronze and jewel. The first shop was born with Aldebrando DARI in 1630 in Borgo Pinti in Florence and produced important jewelry and small sculptures in bronze for the nobles of the city and for the church.
The brand of ‘ancient Florentine workshop, a Gothic church with the initials inside, has remained the same. Alessandro Dari uses it for over 35 years and come into possession by the paternal grandfather without knowing its origins.
Maestro Dari, who has always been a keen scholar of all sciences, ancient and modern, blends the physical and spiritual worlds in an alchemy of forms and thought, which he constantly lives and which constantly inspire his work. The techniques he uses are based on Etruscan, Classical, Gothic and Renaissance style, periods in which this art reached its peak. Hence the use of innovative themes to create “new” jewels: architecture and anatomy elements constantly present in all his creations, as in the case of the “Collezione Chiese” (1980-1895) and the subsequent “Collezione Castelli” (1990) where, for the first time in history, architecture takes a peek at the world of jewellery. Also of great importance is the innovative “Macchinari Gioiello” collection: here preciousness dresses and shines in a quest seemingly distant from the art of the goldsmith, becoming combustion engine and light. In Maestro Dari’s workshop all jewellery manufacturing steps take place. From melting to enamelling, engraving and setting of stones: all stages are treated with the same outright passion. Each jewel is personally developed by the Maestro in extremely limited edition for the “Historical Collections”, while all others are strictly one-of-a-kind.
Love, the last Maestro Alessandro Dari collection
- Fiera di Vicenza (1986 – 1988)
- Oro Capital Roma (1987)
- Fiorenzone Firenze (1988 – 1989)
- Gift Milano (1988 – 1992)
- Basilea (1992 – 1993)
- Gift Firenze (1992 – 1993)
- Artigianato a palazzo, Firenze (1998 – 2007)
- Chianti Life, Firenze (2000)
- Mostra di artigianato, Firenze (1998 – 2000)
- Premiazione “Fiorino d’Oro” come miglior artista fiorentino (2003)
- Museo della Specola, Firenze (2006)
- “Il guardiano dell’anima”, Palazzo Giunio alla Regione Firenze (2007)
- Chiesa Orsammichele, Firenze (2008)
- “Le stanze della meraviglia”, Palazzo Vecchio, Firenze (2010)